Happy 256th Birthday, Mr. William Blake!
And Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
I can’t believe it’s been a year since I posted the first five pages of The Poet and the Flea to this blog! This has been such a rewarding experience thus far and I’m excited to continue sharing my work with Blake scholars and graphic novel enthusiasts alike. :)
PLANS for The Poet and the Flea:
- RESEARCH: This past summer, I read Alexander Gilchrist’s Life of William Blake cover to cover. I also read through The Blake Book from the Tate and have reread a number of Blake’s poetry. For my birthday in October, I procured a copy of The Stranger from Paradise: A Biography of William Blake by G. E. Bentley Jr. I’m about 200 pages into Stranger, and it has been immensely inspiring and helpful so far. :) If anyone has any exceptional biographical recommendations, I would be very glad to hear them!
- SCRIPT: The first 9 pages of the written script are equivalent to the first 30 pages of the finished graphic novel. Currently, I have 41 solid pages and 29 not-so-solid pages of script. This means I have about 70 pages of script in total and I intend on keeping the script no more than 75 pages. When I feel 100% satisfied with my research, I plan on really polishing the script!
- NEW PAGES: After I finish reading Stranger, I hope to dedicate at least a full month (hopefully December) to really focus on the next 10 illustrated pages (p. 31-40). I’m very excited to take this next step forward with The Poet and the Flea.
- AGENTS/PUBLISHERS: I am currently seeking representation for The Poet and the Flea and plan on continuing to submit query letters. I also hope to attend a number of book fairs so I can continue to scope out agents and publishers. If anyone has any recommendations in terms of agents and/or publishers interested in graphic novels, I would be much obliged!
- TO BE ANNOUNCED: I currently have an unexpected and thrilling Flea-related something in the works. More details to come!
Many thanks and kind regards,