Happy 256th Birthday, Mr. William Blake!
And Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
I can’t believe it’s been a year since I posted the first five pages of The Poet and the Flea to this blog! This has been such a rewarding experience thus far and I’m excited to continue sharing my work with Blake scholars and graphic novel enthusiasts alike.
PLANS for The Poet and the Flea:
- RESEARCH: This past summer, I read Alexander Gilchrist’s Life of William Blake cover to cover. I also read through The Blake Book from the Tate and have reread a number of Blake’s poetry. For my birthday in October, I procured a copy of The Stranger from Paradise: A Biography of William Blake by G. E. Bentley Jr. I’m about 200 pages into Stranger, and it has been immensely inspiring and helpful so far. If anyone has any exceptional biographical recommendations, I would be very glad to hear them!
- SCRIPT: The first 9 pages of the written script are equivalent to the first 30 pages of the finished graphic novel. Currently, I have 41 solid pages and 29 not-so-solid pages of script. This means I have about 70 pages of script in total and I intend on keeping the script no more than 75 pages. When I feel 100% satisfied with my research, I plan on really polishing the script!
- NEW PAGES: After I finish reading Stranger, I hope to dedicate at least a full month (hopefully December) to really focus on the next 10 illustrated pages (p. 31-40). I’m very excited to take this next step forward with The Poet and the Flea.
- AGENTS/PUBLISHERS: I am currently seeking representation for The Poet and the Flea and plan on continuing to submit query letters. I also hope to attend a number of book fairs so I can continue to scope out agents and publishers. If anyone has any recommendations in terms of agents and/or publishers interested in graphic novels, I would be much obliged!
- TO BE ANNOUNCED: I currently have an unexpected and thrilling Flea-related something in the works. More details to come!
Many thanks and kind regards,